Sunday, December 30, 2007

Happy New Year

So I've been really, really, really bad about updating this blog and I kinda knew it would happen. Once the middle of November rolled around then all hell sorta broke loose. Papers, projects, then Thanksgiving, final exams, Christmas... Aaaaaargh! At least, it's sort of over. Now it's almost 2008. I am so thankful for having made it through another year in good health, with good friends and family intact. This was a great year in so many ways -- in my personal life and in my professional life. I think 2008 will be even greater. I'm really excited about the two novels that I'm working on and my next novel, which is currently in edits and will be published in Spring 2009.
I've only started reading fiction again last week! I have about four books I'm hoping to read over the break: The End of Memory by Miroslav Wolf (saw this guy give a talk at Penn and was very impressed); How to Read the Bible by James Kugel; The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (Oprah-approved, of course) and The Camel Club by David Baldacci (hey, it was in the bargain books section.) I'm almost finished with the Camel Club and it's interesting and predictable -- terrorist plotters, group of wizened conspiracy theorists who will save the day; CIA-type hero; spunky girl; hot blonde; pseudo-invincible bad guy, etc. etc. But it's enjoyable because my brain is still reeling from finals so I can't take anything too serious right now.
I'm off to Peru next week so I'm hoping to read at least two of the other three somewhere between Philadelphia and Machu Picchu. Did I spell that right? Anyway, here's to 2008!!! I'm hoping to read more great books and maybe write a great one myself.
I'd planned to do one of those "Best of" lists but I just don't have the energy. I will say that The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz was hands down the best book of 2007. Nothing else I read or heard of came even close.
Happy New Year readers!!

No comments: